This weekend he made his way into our hole and was running some of his first PvE sites in our C1 when I came online. He is a bit off timezone for me but was glad to see we were overlapping tonight. The conversation was relatively quick and he had expressed a little trouble with some of the sleepers so I offered to come in and lend a hand. Tanking sleepers can be tricky for new recruits. It isn't like running missions in my opinion. While I don't find it technically challenging at this point, adapting your fit and playstyle to the "easy way" in wormholes isn't always the obvious way so our new recruits sometimes need a hand.
I warped over to our C1 in my trusty Myrmidon which I have been using lately when in fleet partly just to get myself used to the ship when I finally train warfare links. I noticed right away that the wormhole was wobbling and checked it. It was near the end of its lifetime and our bookmark indicated it was already over the 16 hour mark for the C1 wormhole. I instructed our new friend to get back home before it trapped him there. He did and in about 10 minutes the hole collapsed. Another corpmate, also fairly new to the corp but a long time friend of mine and no stranger to EVE, was ready to scan and found the new C1 and went to investigate. It wasn't long before he reported a tower. Then came the report of no force field. And then the river...hangers!
For those that are not familiar with POS mechanics in EVE, a tower is protected by a force field. The major assets of a tower are stored in either Corporate Hanger Arrays, Personal Hanger Arrays, Ship Maintenance Arrays of varying sizes, or other "non-combat structures". If a tower runs out of fuel or is otherwise unattended, the force field will drop and those structures can be attacked, destroyed, and they will drop loot like a ship kill. These structure kills can be highly lucrative if the residents did not properly abandon their tower but instead were either forced to abandon or simply left the game without a care for their assets.
Quickly those of us online jumped in to begin the festivities and the ping went out on corp channels for anyone that wanted in to get online. Welcome to the corp, let's loot a tower!
After all was said and done, we came out with somewhere around 2 billion ISK worth of stuff between ships, modules, and other loot. On top of that, the wormhole had some 20 or more combat sites to run and after mass stressing the wormhole with our haulers, a few of us stayed behind to clear those adding another 200M to our take for the evening. Sadly we self destructed the two battleships that dropped, those having been built inside the wormhole by the former residents and unable to be flow out due to mass restrictions. Previously a new recruit had been welcomed to the corp with an Orca kill. I think we stepped up our new player introduction process this time!
Tomorrow is Kronos and I'm really looking forward to a few new features
- Prospect - T2 cloaky Venture. I trained Mining Frigate V just to be able to fly this ASAP.
- Freighters, etc. - Looking forward to trying out various fittings to see what works best with my alt who hauls quiet a bit. Also training for the Deep Space Transport which should fill a nice middle niche.
- Battle skiff - Not really a thing but combined with upcoming changes to refining, it looks like it might be a nice combination that gives wormhole mining a viable boost
- Low-sec exploration - I think we have a few guys that will be excited to take advantage of this when we have low-sec connections. Might even do some roams when we are near low-sec just to see if we can get a nice drop.
- Loot spew being removed - FINALLY!
- Implant changes - I don't think I have any in my characters but it does open up some more options which is always good
- Medium Micro Jump drive - Will be interesting to see how this plays out. A MMJD Drake/Myrmidon is going to be a change for wormhole divers for sure and something to be considered when on the giving or receiving end of ganks. I may switch from my trusted Vexor to a Myrmidon in C1 sites just to take advantage of this module giving a possible out from being ganked.
- Drones - Huge adjustments that will affect me greatly as I'm a primary drone pilot. Not sure if it is overall good or bad for me but I will adjust. Definitely looking forward to the improved orbit mechanics.
- 500 corp bookmarks - Moar is always better
- And all the little things which are almost always some of the best changes
See you in Kronos!